Loan Policies and FinesCharge-out and Returns
- A current EIU I.D. card is required to charge-out materials.
- A receipt is given upon request when books are returned in person. Keep your receipts at least 30 days.
- Library patrons are charged a monetary fine for overdue and a replacement cost for lost, stolen, or damaged library materials. Your official academic records will be withheld until all fines have been resolved through Circulation Services. If you have questions on your fine you can appeal it in writing (Fine Review Request Form).
- Off-campus students must provide the Housing Office with a local address to receive bills and overdue notices. You can update your address here.
To avoid fines and fees you may renew some items through MyAccount.Loan Periods and Fines
If a book you want is already charged out, you may request it from other
I-Share Libraries. If the book you want is not owned by an I-Share Library, you can request it through Interlibrary Loan Services. You will be notified when the item is available via your EIU email account. You may find information on your EIU email account online at PAWS.
Students Graduate Students Faculty Staff / Others Daily Fine* Archival Materials BUO** BUO BUO BUO --- Books in Stacks 4 wks 8 wks 16 wks 4 wks $.25 Gov Doc 4 wks 4 wks 16 wks 4 wks $.25 Juvenile Collection 4 wks 4 wks 16 wks 4 wks $.25 Current Periodicals 1 day 1 day 1 day 1 day $1.00 Bound Periodicals 1 wk 1 wk 1 wk 1 wk $1.00 Current Best Sellers 1 wk 1 wk 1 wk 1 wk $.25 Videos (VHS, DVD, Film) 3 day 3 day 2 wks 3 day $1.00 Audio (CD, LP) 1 wk 1 wk 1 wk 1 wk $1.00 Reserves (3 hrs) 3 hrs 3 hrs 3 hrs 3 hrs $.50/hr Reserves (1-7 days) 1-7 days 1-7days 1-7 days 1-7 days $2.00/day
* maximum fine $10 ** building use only
Lost Books and Materials (Except Periodicals)
Replacement cost of lost item or a minimum standard replacement charge of $50 (whichever is greater).
Lost Unbound Periodicals
Replacement cost of lost item or a minimum standard replacement charge of $20 (whichever is greater).
Lost Bound Periodicals
Replacement cost of lost item or a minimum standard replacement charge of $100 (whichever is greater).
A processing fee of $15.00 will be assessed for all types of materials
Returned Lost Item
If an item designated as lost is returned, the patron is assessed the fines that have accrued to a maximum of $10 and a $15 processing fee.
rev. 3/95 and approved by President's Council, April 28, 1995